Artificial corneas within sight - Cameron Optometry | Cameron Optometry
Artificial corneas within sight

Artificial corneas within sight

Posted on 05th October 2011

Chemical engineers at Stanford University have developed a material which they say could be used in the eye as an artificial cornea.

The material called “Duoptix” is made of 80% water (a similar proportion to the cornea) and a network of 2 special types of plastic. The researchers hope that it will replace donor tissue in corneal transplant surgery and lower the chance of rejection by the eye which occurs in around 20% of cases. Corneal grafts are carried out in cases where the patient’s cornea is either misshapen or loses clarity through disease or injury.


Related Posts

The value of having independent prescribing optometrists

16th September 2020

Some patients might be interested in this article where Ian Cameron shares his thoughts on prescribing. We were one of the first practices to have an optometrist who could prescribe medication to pati...

Read more

Back to school eye examinations

11th August 2020

We are normally inundated with children visiting the practice during the summer months, with parents and carers booking in an eye examination, along with a fitting for school shoes, stationery orders,...

Read more

Coronavirus, COVID-19, advice

03rd August 2020

This page will have our latest information on the care we can provide during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can also find information on our Facebook page. LATEST UPDATE 1.30pm, Monday, 3 August: Resu...

Read more

How to avoid digital eyestrain when working from home

26th May 2020

Last week we provided advice on how to prevent your child suffering from digital eyestrain. This week, we're looking at adults, in particular those working from home (most of us at the moment!). Ian...

Read more